Sunday, January 29, 2012

Lecture 9: Death by PowerPoint and Hurrah for Pecha Kucha!

Before we get to the real meat (get it Aggie students?!) of today's lecture, I would like to remind you about your participation in this class. Participating, sending tweets, adding blog comments, discussing in class and in labs is all to help you learn and engage with the course content. Re-writing what someone has  already tweeted is not demonstrating your engagement with the ideas, you are simply quoting or paraphrasing or even summarising.

So, this is why I ask you to be critically literate and to critically think about your contributions.

Image from Harold Jarche.


Besides the tips and examples I will show in the lecture, have a read of these notes from Copy Blogger who succinctly summarises some key aspects of critical literacy:


Little Details MatterPay attention to words like ‘may’, ‘can’, and ‘will’. There’s a huge difference between something thatwill [insert marvelous benefit here] and something that might do the same. Never accept anything at face value.
Question the AuthoritiesIf a piece of content quotes an expert to help support the argument or conclusion, ask questions. What qualifies the individual to give advice? What credentials does the person have to make claims? Why is he or she an authority on the subject?
Sweeping Away StatementsOver-generalization usually discredits an argument’s validity from the get-go. Knock down sentences that use words like ‘all’ and ‘everyone’. Not all people do, and not everyone knows. More careful wording such as ‘most’ and ‘some’ pass muster more easily.
Scarecrows and Straw MenWatch out for fallacies. Fallacies are the tricky smoke and mirrors that divert attention from true critical thinking. There are a ton of fallacies, all built to deflect, detract, divert and discredit arguments without really doing so.
Let Down Your GuardOne of the biggest obstacles to creative thinking is bias, also the enemy of critical thinking. Your values, emotions, desires and experiences influence your beliefs and your ability to have an open mind. Set them aside and take the time to ponder information you receive wholeheartedly.
A last note: Be prepared to accept that someone’s arguments are true. Debating validity can be fun; it doesn’t always mean that you’re right.
You can also follow these suggestions:


Image from DocStock presentation found here.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to let the class know about my public speaking trials and tribulations! Public speaking used to terrify me until I was forced into becoming comfortable with it, which is slightly shocking because I am a very outgoing and talkative person. The hardest part for me each week at the varsity games is talking without a script and having a time limit - it definitely stresses me out! The lecture yesterday provided me with positive reinforcement that I was approaching public speaking in the right way and reminded me of the important things to keep in mind when I present! To all those who are afraid of public speaking my best advice to you is to relax, take a deep breath and just go for it! If you are confident and comfortable in what you are presenting, it comes across to your audience and even if you mess up they will likely be supportive since the majority of people dislike it! Good luck to everyone in lab this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thoroughly surprised today how great the pecha Kusha presentation works. Usually when watching a presentation I find my mind drifting within a couple of minutes, yet today in the lab when presenting the presentations zoomed by. By the time I finished looking at the picture the next slide was up and there was another one! Presenting usually terrifies me, I'm not too sure if it was presenting in groups or the no-time-to-think before slides that made me calmer. I really enjoyed it!

    To Chelsea above, you are absolutely correct when you say to relax and take a deep breath, but then again by the time you take a deep breath the next slide is up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pecha Kucha was a surprisingly good ppt presentation, I would not like it for my lectures because it would not be easy to study. But if you're looking to get informed about a topic quickly and not fall asleep, it's great.
    I must say though, that creating on in 50 minutes is not possible (for me at least)!! The presentation we did in the lab was rushed, unrehearsed, and not researched. Even though I am fairly confident in my knowledge, I came across as not knowing what I was talking about because I was flustered in addition to being terrified of public speaking. If public speaking is not your thing, Pecha Kucha could go fine as long as you're prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really found this lecture on Pecha Kucha very interesting and beneficial. I have always found power points to be boring and lengthy so these presentations are great at getting to the point and keeping an audiences attention. I have always been uncomfortable with public speaking so it was good to address this topic briefly. I really do believe that public speaking and presentations are a learned skill that need to be practiced so it would have been nice to have a bit more focus on this aspect as it is a key life skill. I also found it interesting that after this presentation, the rest of presentations were simple power points, not following the Pecha Kucha format we just learned as being extremely effective. Although I was first intimidated by Pecha Kucha presentations, with hands on experience I learned it was a great way to be succinct and stay on topic during presentations.

    ReplyDelete